[GeoStL] Geocaching.com & Virtuals

  • From: "Chris Binder" <cpbinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching Newsgroup" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:14:13 -0500

Ok...before you just haul off on me...just know that the following statements
are explicitly my opinion and I'm not taking a shot at *gln or anyone over at
geocaching.com.
    First off...My Science Center Virtual Cache wasn't approved...I kind of
understand why...but seriously, many of us don't get a chance to go on down to
the SLSC too often, and some of us have kids that dictate when, if ever, we all
go to the science center. Honestly, I make the effort to make a cache that's
good for the entire family. It's not one of those "hit-and-run" virtual caches
that you can do over a lunch break. It's a cache that you need to park and find
a sign inside of a building. It brings business to the science center, and
allows families who don't get down there too often, to reward themselves for
visiting with a cache find.
    Secondly, how do you feel on this issue: We buy the receiver. Some of us
buy a charter membership. And geocaching.com dictates what the entire world of
geocaching can and cannot do? :-) Personally...I like the website...I like the
camaraderie that goes on in this newsgroup and in SLAGA. I like what SLAGA is
doing. My problem is why geocaching.com is complaining on the number of
virtuals?
    I'm not completely finished yet. I'm offering something constructive to
say, bear with me: We all should work on a separate rule list that applies to
virtual caches only. Like: No other virtuals within a .50 or a .75 mile radius.
Or all virtuals should be above a rating of 2.0/1.0. Those are my thoughts.
Thanks for listening. :-)

~Chris