[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching and the Mark Twain National Forest

  • From: "Stoeppelman, Kurt" <Kurt.Stoeppelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:22:48 -0500

-

I have seen the term Wilderness and National Forest Land used
interchangeably is emails. I am concerned that some geocachers don't
understand the differences between the two. Wilderness areas are land set
aside to remain in a natural state with no improvements like roads or
structures. From what I understand about the Wilderness Act, a virtual cash
is acceptable but, any container or tag placed in the wilderness area would
violate federal law. Caches must not be placed in our wilderness areas for
the well being of geocaching and the wilderness areas. By not observing the
rules of the Wilderness Areas we may jeopardize our use of the much much
larger National Forest lands.

I my self have placed a cache just outside the border of Bell Mountain
Wilderness Area. Besides caching I hike and backpack in these wonderful
areas. My cache was placed to bring cachers to trailhead with hopes they
visit and enjoy the wilderness as I have.

I have include some additional info and links:

The Wilderness Act was passed by Congress in 1964 and continues to be the
guiding piece of legislation for all Wilderness areas. The Act defines
Wilderness as follows:

"...lands designated for preservation and protection in their natural
condition..." Section 2(a)
"...an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by
man..." Section 2(c)
"...an area of undeveloped Federal land retaining its primeval character and
influence, without permanent improvement or human habitation..." Section
2(c)
"...generally appears to have been affected primarily by the forces of
nature, with the imprint of man's work substantially unnoticeable..."
Section 2(c)
"...has outstanding opportunities for solitude or a primitive and unconfined
type of recreation..." Section 2(c)
"...shall be devoted to the public purposes of recreation, scenic,
scientific, educational, conservation and historic use." Section 4(b)

Missouri Wilderness areas
http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=stateView&state=mo

Illinois Wilderness areas
http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=stateView&state=il

Wilderness Information Site
http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm

Wilderness Ethics
Please practice leave no trace hiking and camping. You can reduce your
impact on the environment by observing these guidelines:

Camping - Camp in trees as opposed to meadows. Pine duff can withstand use
much better than fragile meadow flowers and plants. Trees also offer you
privacy and shelter from the wind. Camp at least 100 feet from trails and
water. Animals will not come to water if you are too close.
Fire - Use a small camp stove and avoid building campfires whenever
possible. Campfires consume scarce vegetation and leave permanent scars on
the rocks and land. Also, the risk of starting a forest fire is less when
using a stove.

Sanitation - Bury human waste in the top six to eight inches of topsoil at
least 100 feet from water sources, and urinate well away from trails and
water sources. If you must use soap, make sure it is biodegradable.

Refuse - Pack out all garbage, litter and extra food. Nothing should be left
behind. Food scraps, like egg and peanut shells and orange peels, take a
long time to de-compose and are eyesores to other hikers.

Pets - Pets are allowed in the wilderness: however, they must be kept under
control at all times. Pets must not be allowed to chase wildlife.

Travel - Travel in wilderness areas is restricted to foot or horseback. No
motorized or mechanical equipment, including chainsaws and bicycles, is
allowed. Group size may also be restricted.

Trails - Use existing trails, and avoid cutting switchbacks. Shortcutting
does not save time and will cause serious erosion problems.

Thanks

Kurt Stoeppelman (Rocfish)