[GeoStL] Geocaching and the Mark Twain National Forest

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:13:13 -0600

-
As some may remember at one time the Mark Twain National Forest did not
allow caching in Wilderness Areas.  They finally backed down and are now
allowing it in the National Forest without any rules at this time.

Today, the Forest Service released a draft of a new management plan for the
Mark Twain National Forest.  It is on line at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/marktwain/managment/planning/DEIS/index.htm

It will guide the management of the Forest, including recreation such as
geocaching, for the next 10-15 years.

They are talking public comment on it for the next 3 months and there is an
open house at Powder Valley from 5-8 on the 8th.

I searched the Draft Plan and geocaching is not mentioned.  That may or may
not be a good thing.

The question that needs to be thought about is if we want the final
Management Plan to have standards and guidelines for geocaching.

It could backfire and we could get some bad rules.

Or it could work out well and we get some good rules that would stop the
Forest Service from doing bad things some time in the future.

My initial reaction is we should try to get them to include some good
standards and guidelines with our help.  Perhaps they would have some
meetings with us and develop the rules.

What do people think?

Perhaps some should come to the open house and explore the possibilities
with them.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field