[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching 101

  • From: "merkin" <merkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:46:19 -0700

-

I will plan on attending the event as well.  I've also got a co-worker here who
is now planning to attend with his dad (so we should have at least two
geo-muggles there).

My 5-year-old girl loves geocaching, but she doesn't have a GPS unit.  Two
caches and about 4 travel bugs, but no GPS.

FWIW, I generally eyeball the cache and tell Linda to "come look over here,
'cause my computer says this is the spot", but it's amazing how often she's the
first in our family to spot the cache.

I did get Linda her own compass and an aluminum signal whistle from REI.  Those
two items go on a carribeaner and we clip it to her belt loop, and it's kept
her from wanting a GPS of her own.  She *is* the type who wants to do it "just
the same", but we try to make her feel unique on the hunts.  It's also her job
to pick an item (probably the same with your little girl).

Hope this helps.

From: Sara Carter <beancounter2b@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:53:22 -0800 (PST)

>For those of you with mini-cachers.....do the minicachers have their own
>GPS's?  At what age do most recommend a child have their own GPS?  And what
>GPS would be recommended for mini-cacher?  My daughter is 4 and was acting all
>interested when I had my Etrex Vista out to d/l waypoints the other day and I
>was already planning on getting her involved in GCing this summer.
>
>Sara

Subject field