[GeoStL] Re: Geocache game forces Wal-Mart evacuation

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:04:46 -0600

-
I recall also, one of the first times I heard about a cache being hit by
a "disrupter". It was placed on private property and with the owner's
permission. Unfortunately, he did not inform his staff of the situation,
and they reported the "suspicious" activity. So even having permission
is NOT a guarantee that things like this will not happen. The property
owner needs to educate the staff. But that isn't going to stop the
hyper-paranoid bomb fearing good citizen who has been propagandized to
see a bomb and suspicious activity everywhere they look from reporting
it. It is going to happen. Next thing you know, the bomb squad will be
called to hike 15 miles into a desolate area because someone planted a
device to blow up a pine tree as part of a terrorist plot.