[GeoSTL] Geo-Court

  • From: GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GC-maillist <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 22:23:58 -0500

For those following the results of the court date for the CA cache in the RR
tunnel, here's the results. Kind of scary that it could get this serious.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=21328

       May 5 by Hillwilly (187 found)
      Cacher's web site

      Hillwilly's Day In Court
      If most of you don't know what this is about this is an update on what
happened with Tunnel Vision 1909. On November 2, 2001 Hillwilly's cache was
blown up by the BOMB SQUAD in Dorris California. The FBI got involved and
charged us with Criminal Trespass and Criminal Vandalism for placing the cache
on railroad property. You cannot be within 150 feet of it. This happened to be
the weekend of the most terrorism that was suppose to hit all the bridges and
tunnels in the U.S. since the 9-11 attacks. There were some people at the cache
and replacing the ammo can back on the hillside when the train conductor came
out of the tunnel and noticed them. In turn, he called the police and in turn
they called in the bomb squad and the FBI. They ended up coming to our house
and investigating us and dropped the terrorist charges. The other charges were
then filed against Hillwilly. He had to go to court on May 3rd. last Friday and
here is the outcome. The judge started out with a 1 hour commentary on every
case to be presented except ours in which Tonto, fell asleep and was snoring
through it. Hillwilly went up before him and took the newspaper article that
was featured in our local newspaper with him and Quad doing Geo-caching and
promoting it, along with alot of caches and groups of people with the cache.
The judge threw it aside and wasn't interested. He proceeded to start telling
him the charges of Criminal trespassing and vandalism. Hillwilly sprayed some
gold paint where it wasn't suppose to be. The sentence was then read. It goes
as follows: 1 year jail time, 1 year on probation to stay out of any kind of
trouble, 1 year license suspension in the state of California, and to pay all
the expenses incurred for the bomb squad, the railroad having to change 2 crews
out because of a 4 1/2 hour detainment and closing down of Hwy. 97. They had to
taxi 2 crew men in to change shifts and 2 crew men had to be taxi'd into
K.Falls and put up in a motel for the night then be taxi'd back to Redding the
next day. The expense just for that was $1650.00. With all the fines and fees
attatched to all of this, the grand total was $2030.00, which we had to pay
right then and there. To be kind ,for the moment, the judge told him he would
drop the 1 year jail time. He was not to be near the train tracks ever again
unless he was on the train. This was pretty hefty for playing a harmless game.
Tonto mentioned taking up donations, maybe not a bad idea. The thing we didn't
understand was the suspension of his driver's lecense for a year. Pulled that
out of a hat. I'm mentioning all of this so it hopefully won't happen to anyone
else. If you have any caches on RR property pull them or move them, and you
shouldn't go and get any one elses either. This is probably the most expensive
cache we will ever do and the most talked about. I want to thank all of you for
your thoughts and concern for Hillwilly. Happy Geo-caching to all. Di

            Hillwilly
            A lesser fine may be stealing on of these
            Bill making donation