[GeoStL] Re: Garmin is now competing with Groundspeak - new geocaching site

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:59:42 -0600

-
I have mixed feelings about this, but I guess time will tell.

First, I like the idea of competition. Glen said that GC.COM has competition, but I am not sure they are large enough to matter. But then again, maybe I just don't get around enough.

On the other hand, Garmin may be getting to be like Microsoft. They want to "own" the entire sport and control it an mold it into what they want it to be. Somewhat like GC.COM does as well, except they don't manufacture the hardware.

While I believe that perhaps GC.COM is not a profit oriented as Garmin, they do have controlling issues and don't seem to want to honor reasonable changes to the game. So healthy competition is good. Monopolies are not so good. Benevolent monopolies are as rare as benevolent dictatorships.

What would be nice is if each could cross reference the other and you could access both from one. The first one to do that is going to have a winner. For example, in your case, if opencaching can have entries for GC caches, but tack on their own ratings / logs, then you would have your rating systems for GC's caches. Plus, it would bring the existing cache base into opencaching in a way so they don't have to wait for a bunch of hides before they become a viable alternative.

Not sure what the advantage would be to GC until a lot of people shift over to opencaching because of those advantages. That is where the competition may come in and GC might adopt the better features of opencaching.

While GC may complain if opencaching (OC) starts "listing" their caches, I don't see that they would have any real basis for stopping the practice. If people upload their GPX files, OC is not accessing the data illegally, and will eventually have a near duplicate of the active caches. Adding their rating system is nothing different than a web site that rates restaurants or logs visits to restaurants. So it would seem that OC would be free to do such things. GC may try to plug data leaks, but anything they do would alienate their users and make the situation worse.

It could be interesting.

On 12/8/2010 10:38 AM, Jim Bensman wrote:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/12/geocaching-free-for-all-garmin-launches-opencachingcom.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Garmin+%28Garmin+Blog%29 <http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/12/geocaching-free-for-all-garmin-launches-opencachingcom.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Garmin+%28Garmin+Blog%29>

http://www.opencaching.com/

Not sure what I think of this. But I like the ability for rating the caches. I also think I like there being competition with Groundspeak. I signed up for an account.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->