[GeoStL] Re: Garmin Oregon 450

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 11:24:19 -0800 (PST)

There's nothing to calibrate.  It sounds like the unit does not have a fix.
Turn it on, set it outside with a clear view of the sky, and let it "soak" for
at least 20 minutes.  (Oh, and make sure you don't have the GPS functions
turned
off -- that is, make sure you're not in "demo" mode).

If you want routable road maps, you probably are better off paying Garmin's
high
prices.  If you're only interested in topo maps, consider a BirdsEye
subscription instead.  For around $30/year, you can download scanned copies of
the USGS 7.5 minute topo maps (from Garmin) and put them on your GPSr. All you
can download for one low, low price ;)  Not as convenient as the prepackaged SD
cards.  And they take up a lot more room on the GPSr.  But they're cheap -- and
the USGS topos are the gold standard for the US.

Also consider the freebies from gpsfiledepot.