[GeoStL] Re: Garmin Oregon 450

  • From: Elonka Dunin <elonka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 13:21:29 -0600

My understanding is: Don't buy maps, you can get everything you need free from gpsfiledepot.com. As to how to configure BaseCamp, I can't help, because I can't figure it out either. People keep saying, "Use BaseCamp, it's free," but I haven't figured out how to get it installed and talking to my Oregon yet.

Elonka

On 3/7/2013 12:54 PM, Patricia Hutchison wrote:
Yikes! I'm looking at the BaseCamp program (and of course I'm lost) but there's something about the Garmin maps, so I went to the Garmin site and the road maps are like $80 per item. Well, I guess that's fine and dandy because I really only need North America, but then when you look over at the hiking maps, they're by region and they can be over $100 a pop. So, I guess the next question is: What maps (if any) have other GO 450 users downloaded into their Garmins? What do I need and what's superfluous? I should also add that I'm heading to REI after work today to help me get this silly thing calibrated. I did everything it told me to do and it said it was calibrated, but it is still showing the wrong time, the wrong date and it says my cache (which is behind my office) is 240 miles away. Something's not quite right here....