[GeoStL] Re: Garmin Oregon 450

  • From: Jason Collier <jcollier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:19:30 -0600

-
Garmin Basecamp will allow you to load maps onto the unit. And, it's free.

Jason Collier
314-623-0263

On 3/7/2013 9:30 AM, Elonka Dunin wrote:
The next challenge with the Oregon 450, will be to figure out how to get maps onto it. You can buy them via Garmin, or get free ones at gpsfiledepot.com. I have yet to figure out how to actually get them installed on the device though, so maybe someone else could help with that.

Elonka

No. Unlike some other GPSrs (for example, the DeLorme PN-60), Garmin units always load all the .gpx files on the device (up to the capacity of the unit), merging them together into the list that you see in the UI. The only way to keep them separate is to only place the one query (or the subset of several queries) that you want onto the device at any given time. Offhand, I don't recall whether or no there is any way to manage files from the device itself. Last time I looked, there was not.
From: patriciahutchison@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 08:49:35 -0600

Ok, I managed to download a PQ of my "owned" caches so I would have them on the machine, but I then went to an individual cache page and used the on-screen button to download a single cache to my Garmin. Actually, I did a couple this way because I am headed to U City tomorrow at lunchtime. When I looked on the GPS to see how they looked, I noticed that it just stuck all the caches together without differentiating which I own and the others. Is this what's supposed to happen ?