[GeoStL] Re: Garmin Legend HCx

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:29:23 -0500

I too had the same visual... I am still laughing....

Mike

      From: gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx
      To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:12:56 -0500

      Bob,

      The Legend HCx does not have a true magnetic compass like the Vista and
the 60CSx's. The direction is calculated by your movement with the satellites,
so standing still or moving slowly will not give you an accurate reading. And,
because of the new "H" chip, there seems to be more averaging going on before
the compass points correctly than the old blue Legends.

      So you have 2 options; walk faster or buy a cheap compass since the
bearing in degrees indicated on the compass is the correct bearing, it's just
that the pointer is pointer in the correct direction. You'll also notice that
the distance drops as you walk towards the cache but the pointer may point
behind you initially, and then swing around to point in the correct direction..
I have the Legend HCx so just use it for a week or so and you be use to it and
like it.

      The 2-2.5MPH speed is not settable but there is talk about this in the
forums on gc.com and hopefully Garmin will tweak the speed and setting.

      Rich