[GeoStL] Garmin GPSIII+ performance

  • From: "John Kinder" <jkinder@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:16:43 -0500

Anyone use a GPSIII+? I went geocaching with someone who had a Garmin
GPSIII+ while I used my Garmin Etrex Legend. While driving, both units
tracked position and bearing to waypoints the same and seemed identical in
responsivness. However, as soon as we stopped and got out of the car there
was extreme differences. The Legend would point to the cache and off I'd go.
The GPSIII+, however was just plain unacceptably sluggish. It would
sometimes take minutes (really) for it to come to its senses and point in
the right direction.

Both units had battery saver modes "off" so they were updating once per
second, and both were acquiring the same sattelites and had comparable
accuracies. Comparions were with units out in the open with unobstructed
view of the sky.

Bottom line was the GPSIII+ wasn't even in the same league when walking
slowy with it - yet they seemed identical when traveling fast by car. Bigest
ovservation is GPSIII+ seemed to take a long time makng sense of the
transition from moving fast in a car to moving slow by foot.

Anyone had experience with a GPSIII+? Is what I describe above typical for
this unit?

John (dj&r)

Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com
Mail List & Archive Info.
Msg. of the day, "The peacemaking meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict."