[GeoStL] Garmin 60CS

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:14:42 -0500

-
For those thinking of the 60CS, now that I have had it for almost a week, I
can highly recommend it.  (However, the one I got is defective-the enter
button does not work sometimes-I will have to deal with that tomorrow and
hope I can get one shipped to replace it.)

The antenna is really amazing.  Yesterday and today I was hiking in deep
valleys, near 350 foot cliffs, under tree cover, etc.  I never lost a fix!
Most of the time I just had it hooked to my pack's shoulder strap.

The color screen is outstanding.  It is so easy to see even in bright
sunlight.

The autorouting feature is real nice, but using a laptop to get from cache
to cache is still greatly superior.  It usually does a pretty good job
routing you, but you cannot get a "big picture" of what is going on or
change the route.  If I was only going to one or two caches, I would not
bring my laptop anymore.  Other than that, I still plan to use my laptop for
getting me from cache to cache.  It is real good on showing turns and
recalculating if you miss a turn.  But it was a bit of a pain when you get
close and go a different way.  It keeps rerouting you.

However, you need to buy City Select (Over $100) to do street level
autorouting (other than the base map).  MetroGuide will load, but it will
not autoroute on it.

On the topo maps, it is hard to see the contour lines.  Hopefully there will
be a software fix for that.

The geocaching screen is nice.

One problem is most software will not interface with the USB.  So I am going
to have to buy a $30 serial cable.

The processor is much faster than the vista and the batteries last about
twice as long.  The mark waypoint now has average.

Its got lots more really nice features.  I really like it.

Subject field