[GeoStL] Re: GPS units

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:44:16 -0800 (PST)

Good point about the special-purpose hardware. All depends on whether or not
you
care about the relatively small numbers of caches which require this stuff.
Only (some) Garmin units can do Chirp. And only (some) Garmin units can do
Wherigo. Of course, there are good Wherigo apps for phones, so that's not so
much of an issue.

Also a good point about cell phones and opportunistic caching.

But Elonka's obviously a lot more careful than I am - no way I'd take my Nuvi
out of the car. Murphy was an optimist.

Paperless capacity (number of caches with all the gory details) varies wildly.
Generalizing unmercifully, Garmin handheld units tend to have a relatively low
capacity (a few thousand). They do not permit "selective loading" -- they
always
(try to) load whatever is on the unit into memory.  DeLorme units allow 1500
caches and/or child waypoints to be loaded at any one time. But they allow
selective loading of individual files -- so the capacity is limited only by
your
SD card and your patience.  As I understand it, the Magellan units are like
Garmin -- no selective loading. But they do have a much higher in-memory limit
(10,000?).  I'm sure John will chime in if I got that wrong :-D.

Nuvi units do allow for a very large number of caches simultaneously. They are
loaded as points of interest (POIs).  It generally involves an extra step or
two
to get your PQ into this format. I use GSAK, a GSAK macro, and the standard
Garmin POI loader program for this. I am sure there are other solutions.  The
Garmin handhelds, the DeLorme units, and (I think) the Magellan units load
directly from .gpx files, which is the native format for your PQ.  On DeLorme
units, at least, you still use GSAK or something similar to merge the cache
.gpx
and the child waypoint .gpx. Not sure about Magellan.

Tom