[GeoStL] Re: GPS units

  • From: Elonka Dunin <elonka@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 15:22:05 -0600

For myself, my primary units for geocaching are my iPhone and my Nuvi 255w, which do 99% of what's needed: I can navigate to a cache with street directions, I can see "opportunistic" caches as I drive by, I can get GPS coordinates down to .001 accuracy, get satellite views of an area (if there's cellphone access), or still navigate with my Nuvi to a cache even if I'm out in the boonies. With my Nuvi, I can also load literally tens of thousands of caches onto it, rather than the limit of 500-1000 on the other units. The Nuvi also makes it much easier to search for distant caches, whereas the smaller units are really best for caches that are immediately nearby.

The only downsides to the iPhone/Nuvi configuration are:

* Battery life sucks, so if I'm caching for more than a few hours away from a car charger or electrical socket, units start failing * Shock-resistance is poor. If a device is dropped on rocks or in a stream or in the mud, the iPhones and Nuvi are not as robust as a "hiker's" GPS * I cannot access "Chirp" or Beacon caches with a Nuvi. There are only certain Garmin models that will sense beacons, and there's no current cost-effective way to sense beacon signals with a smartphone

Accordingly, when I did my own research to have a backup GPS unit outside of the iPhone/Nuvi configuration, l looked for:

* Shock-resistance
* Battery life
* Beacon-sensing ability, so I could get caches such as GC2HJ08

After comparing multiple models, this narrowed down to one of the following:
* Garmin Oregon 450
* Garmin Oregon 450t (same as 450, but with pre-installed Topo maps)
* Garmin Oregon 550 (same as 450, but has a camera)
* Garmin Oregon 550t (same as 450, but with a camera and pre-installed Topo maps)

* Note: the Garmin Colorado can receive chirp signals, but cannot be used to program a new one

Bottom line, any of the Oregon 450/450t/550/550t would suit my needs, and I ended up getting a Garmin Oregon 450. However, I rarely use it, because I feel that my iPhone/Nuvi configuration is still more powerful. So I only pull the Oregon out for certain special-case situations, such as when batteries are running low on the others, or if I want to get a Chirp cache. I'll also be using my Oregon for the MOGA competitions, for the battery reason, though I'll probably bring along my Nuvi and iPhone as well.

Just my $0.02,

Elonka :)

On 1/9/2013 2:57 PM, Tom Wolpert wrote:
In handheld recreational units:
Basic unit = smaller black and white display, no maps (or ability to add maps), may or may not have paperless geocaching, physical buttons Midrange unit = larger color display, at least the ability to add maps, paperless geocaching, physical buttons or touch, no sensors or camera Highend unit = larger color display, maps, paperless geocaching, usually touch, includes at least electronic compass and barometer, may include camera Look for paperless geocaching if that's what you want it for. IMO, the ability to at least add maps is important. Beware of the additional cost of maps. If you don't need road routing (which is usually poor in handhelds anyway), consider the map/imagery subscription services from Garmin or DeLorme (for their own units). Sensors are a bell and whistle for most people, although the electronic compass allows you to see "direction to your target" when standing still. (They can all show you direction to your target and an on-screen compass when moving.) Touch vs. physical buttons is a matter of taste, but do be aware of possible touch difficulties when wearing gloves. Most geocachers are Garmin users. If you want to consider others, look at DeLorme and Magellan. Garmin in particular has excellent comparison capabilities on their web site. Look for "On the Trail" as a starting place for handheld recreational units. If you want to look, touch and play with a variety of units, visit REI. You might even find a knowledgable sales rep - or not. Visit during off hours if you want to play extensively. You can't beat their returns policy, but you will pay list price. Their member discounts/points did not apply to GPSrs the last time I checked. In most cases, you can buy at a discount online (for example, Amazon). Be sure to buy only from reputable sources and beware of used/refurbished/gray market sellers. Although I have not used one personally, the new (emphasize new - not to be confused with the less capable earlier eTrex models) Garmin eTrex series looks like a lot of bang for the buck. This is the eTrex 10/20/30 line. All are paperless. The 10/20/30 pretty much fit the basic/midrange/highend categories above. I wouldn't buy the 10 (no maps), but the 20 and 30 are likely OK. But these are relatively new units and are not likely to be discounted yet. If you have a specific unit in mind, post here, in the SLAGA FB group, or come to an event. Somebody who owns one will give you an earfull :-D.
Tom
(twolpert)