[GeoSTL] GPS tracking and SouthWestern Bell

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:01:32 -0500

I happened to be talking to a SWB tech today.
(He was complaining about his employer quite
a bit.)  He said that his truck was fitted with a
GPS tracking device and managers at SWB
can see if he's exceeded the speed limit while
driving or question him as to why he drove a
specific route.

His problem was that the company said the
trucks were fitted for his 'protection'. He said
they spent a lot of money on the technology,
but didn't know how to analyze the results.

He was also hot about them spending so much
money on the GPS tracking and yet, because
the testing unit he had was on the fritz, his
boss would have to scam one from another
manager.

He said that because of the economic
slowdown, SWB has wrapped themselves in
the American flag and use the Sept. 11th
incident to explain why DSL / fiber laying
initiatives have dropped dramatically.  So,
I can't expect DSL in the Eureka area soon.

Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Our OLD WebPage!   http://home.swbell.net/glnash/GEOCACHING/slaga.html
Mail List & Archive Info.
Environmental msg. of the day, "Save the spotted Cow"