[GeoStL] GEOCACHING - (GC8230) Mail Order Tour of Webster Groves by RGS.htm

  • From: GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GC-maillist <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:44:34 -0500

GEOCACHING - (GC8230) Mail Order Tour of Webster Groves by RGS> > Sure seems
quiet around here.

> > I guess we need to hide some more so you all have something to find.

OK, here's my new one. It's ready to go but hasn't been made public yet.

           you are logged in. logout

            Geocaching Gear

            Contact Us

                  This is a micro cache

            Mail Order Tour of Webster Groves
            by RGS [profile]
            cacher's web site

            This cache has not been approved yet. Once it has been approved, it
will be listed.

            N 38° 36.179 W 090° 20.131 (WGS-84)
            convert to NAD27 or UTM

            Temporarily disable this cache

                   also download nearest placenames.
                  Need help? Read about EasyGPS

            State: Missouri [state map]
            Hidden on: 8/20/2002
            Use Waypoint: GC8230 (what's this?)
            Make this page print-friendly (no logs)

                  Note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree
to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

                  (ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)
                  Difficulty:  Terrain:

            This tour consists of 4 very large waypoints (easy finds). So to
make up for it, the actual micro is a little harder to find.

              Between 1908 and 1940, Sears, Roebuck and Co. sold mail order
homes through their catalog. Approximately 75,000 were sold. Prices ranged from
$191 (320 sq. ft.) to $5000 (2 story, 3000 sq. ft.). There have been 20 of
these homes identified in Webster and Kirkwood. This multi/micro cache will
take you on a tour of three of the homes and the train station where the
material was unloaded.

              This house,(WP4), a 1200 sq. ft. 2 story, was the Sunbeam model
and was offered in 1921-1926 for a cost of $2425-$2702.
              A few weeks after the order was placed, two boxcars containing
30,000 pieces would arrive at the nearest train station. This included 750
pounds of nails, windows, doors, shingles, downspouts, sash weights, roofing,
27 gallons of paint and a 75 page instruction book. Everything was included
except for cement, brick, and plaster.

              The coordinates above is the location of the first house in the
tour. You don't need to do this in any order but if you do them in sequence, if
will shorten the driving time. At each waypoint you will need to get the 3
digit house number and they are all visible from the street.
              For more details on some of the 447 different Sears houses
(pictures, prices, floorplans), see Sears Homes.

                    WP No. Coordinates Address
                    1 N38° 36.179
                    W090° 20.131
                    2 N38° 36.195
                    W090° 20.292
                    3 N38° 36.140
                    W090° 20.886
                    This is the original train station (Tuxedo Park) and is now
an architects office.
                    4 N38° 34.854
                    W090° 20.415
                   Total

              Now the 4 sets of numbers should be added together (checksum=21)
and added to both these latitude (N38° 32.813) and longitude (W090° 17.561)
MM.MMM coordinates. I.E. if the sum of the numbers was 4567, then 4.567 would
be added to W090° 17.561 for the actual coordinates of W090° 22.128.
W090° 17.561          N38° 32.813      W090° 17.561
       4.567               ______            ______
------------
W090° 22.128          N38°   .         W090°   .

              This will give you the coordinates of the actual micro cache.
Again, this is not a "normal" micro container (different from "some Disassembly
Required") and must be disassembled. It contains a writing instrument and a
log.
              This cache location also has history behind it, but you wouldn't
know it. This is where General Grant's original log cabin was located around
the turn of the century; hence the name of the street. It was then moved to
Forest Park for the 1904 World's Fair. In 1907 it was purchased by Adolphus
Busch and moved to it's current location at Grant's Farm.

            Additional hints can be decrypted below.
            You can decrypt the hint with the chart, or you can cheat.

              1. Vg'f abg va gur terrarel. 2. Fubhyq lbh or cnexvat urer?
        Decryption Key:
        -------------------------

        (letter above equals below,
         and vice versa)

            Find...
            ...other caches hidden or found by this user
            ...nearby caches
            ...nearby benchmarks
            ...nearby placenames

            For online maps...
            MapQuest Maps (BEST)
            Topo Zone - topographical maps
            (Site uses a different datum so coordinates may be off)
            Microsoft Terra Server - satellite photos
            MapBlast! Maps

            Logged visits (1 total)
            Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

                   August 20 by RGS (273 found)
                  You can [edit], [delete] or [encrypt] this log entry.

                  The coordinates of the first 4 waypoints were taken at the
sidewalk or street edge of the property. This should point you to the correct
side of the street. Let me know if there is a problem and I will indicate even
or odd house numbers on the waypoints.
                  [upload images]

            [Main] [About Geocaching]
            [Hide a Cache] [Seek a Cache] [My Cache Page]
            [Links] [Discuss Geocaching]
            Copyright© 2000-2002 Groundspeak.
            Read our Geocaching Logo Usage Guidelines