[GeoStL] Re: [GEO] JustJen & Matt contacting you from Geocaching.com

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:00:11 -0600

-

As you have found out, dealing with the MCD is a hit of miss thing. There
are caches placed all over Missouri with the blessing and encouragement of
the MDC. Some places wont ever allow it because it does not fit the
official mission of the MDC. (Hunting, fishing ect. )  Still, there are
others out there that don't have enough backbone to make a decision for the
land that they manage and are holding on the the "They are working on a
policy"  line.

Hit or miss is the best I can say.  Most of the folks ignore geocaching.
The ranger I dealt with at Rockwods knew about geocaching and learned more
about it when he confiscated my caches and more still when I went to
retrieve them. He thought geocaching was neat but he wasn't going to allow
them in rockwoods. He knew where all the geocacher were and if he happened
to be in the area, he would pick them up but he said he would not make a
special trip to go get them.  I think only one more, for a total of three,
had ever been picked up.   My two and one in a natural area.

The best thing we can do is to build good relationships with the folks that
are friendly to us, help them out and the others will learn that was are a
lot easier on the land than say, the mountain bikers and paintballers.

Hope this helps,

Glenn,
Geocaching.com  admin
Missouri Geocachers Assoc.  http://www.MoGeo.com