[GeoStL] Fwd: [chicago_geocachers] Cache Picnic URGENT

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:10:48 -0500

-
The Chicago folks had their picnic event shut down. Some well meaning
cacher sent an email requesting donations and giveaway prizes to a few
folks. He mentioned geocaching,com.   Technically, that is spam and it is
illegal in Washington state (where groundspeak is) Interpreting dilemma.
lots of discussion on the topic. I'll relay the good stuff.

glenn

>This morning Jeremy archived the Chicagoland Picnic because a "spam-
>type" message was sent out requesting donations of either monetary
>donations or geocaching items for our picnic.  Since the e-mail
>listed geocaching.com specifically, Jeremy was immediately notified
>of the potential "spam" hit.
>
>I don't fully understand the implications, but suffice it to say,
>Jeremy was NOT happy, and archived the page.  I called and talked to
>Jeremy as soon as I heard what was going on.  I indicated that I set
>up the page and did NOT send any e-mails regarding this event asking
>for donations.  Jeremy tried to explain things to me, but it kind of
>went over my head as I'm not much of a web-type person.
>
>Jeremy has tentatively indicated that he will put the page back up.
>But at this time - ANY further donations other than private donations
>for the picnic will NOT be accepted.  I will be making a note on the
>cache page regarding this as well.
>
>Also, more importantly:
>DO NOT SOLICIT CONTRIBUTIONS FOR THIS OR ANY FUTURE EVENT.
>If someone wants to contribute, fine - but do not send any
>solicitations via e-mail.
>
>Markwell

Subject field