[GeoStL] Fwd: Pioneer Cache trip report

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 10:56:28 -0600

We are looking for a new webmaster: Apply at: WebmasterTransition@xxxxxxxxxx

when we get around to hiking to the paddy creek cache, this is what we have to look forward to. it should take bruceS a couple of hours, it will take me a couple of days. :-)

glenn

Well, we, (Jeepers2, Memphis & Galphoto) reached the trailhead at
8am.  It was a dreary overcast day, with the threat of showers
throughout.  Temperature was about 38-39 degrees.  As we were
entering the forest, a truck stopped us by honking his horn
repeatedly.  The driver wanted to know is we knew that today was the
first day of youth (11 & under)hunting.  Galphoto wanted to know if
they were hunting with bows or firearms....GUNS!  I wanted to know if
there was a parent/adult with them...SUPPOSE TO BE!  He bid us good
luck, be careful and if we saw anyone in orange to make alot of noise
so we would not end up a statistic.  Good advice.
The trail does not let you warm up but gets right to the gritty with
a hard up hill climb and just when you think the worst has come and
gone the mountain arises in front of you.
About 2 miles in just as we are breeching the top we loose the
trail.  Now there have been trees down across the trail throughout
the hike and we managed to get around and back on the trail but this
time the trail seemed to disappear.  After doing some orienteering we
make a heading and break through the underbrush to find the trail
just where it was suppose to be.  Back on the trail again we come
across a nice little camp site.  Further along just of trail, we come
across an US Bearing Marker, bearings no longer readable on the
markers.  Finally seeing the yucca plants we realize we have found
the first of two homesteads at a two trail junction.  Here we drop
our backs and go to work doing what we came out here to do.  By this
time it is maybe 45 degrees with a light rain falling.  We don our
rain ponchos and decide on how we want to precede.  It is about 11am
and we decide to head north.  After about a mile hike we come to the
Little Paddy Creek, we cross and find another campsite.  We drop our
packs, rain is still coming down lightly but steady.  We manage to
get a fire going in the fire pit, hard to do with it raining all
morning but we succeed and roast hot dogs for lunch.  The rain
doesn't seem to be letting up so I suggested to cut across country
following the creek and try to get out before we really start feeling
the elements.  We ate and studied the topo map and decided yes we
could do this.  GPS pionting the way to the car, Map and Compass in
hand heading off in a NE direction.  The going was alot easier then
we thought.  At one point Memphis refused to go in the direction we
were heading, to the point that he wrapped his lead around my legs so
that I could not go. We were, at the point, near the foot of a rock
bluff with many nooks and crannies, any of a number of animals could
have been lurking about, I don't know but I trusted his instinct and
changed directions by crossing the creek.  We continued our journey
with several creek crossings but success met us when we came out just
where I said we would...in the middle of the Paddy Creek Trail...we
took the left branch that brought us to several beautiful overlooks
we followed the trail then followed the GPS to our vehicle. 8.54
miles and 6 hours and 45 minutes later we walked out of the forest.
Memphis was exhausted as well were the 2 legged adventurers.  Great
hike!  It will be an awesome hunt!!!

~~~~~~~~ Glenn St. Louis, Mo