[GeoSTL] Fwd: [Freelists News] FreeLists Network Issues

  • From: "Glenn Nash" <gln@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:54:14 -0500

----Original Message Follows---- From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: freelists-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: freelists-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [Freelists News] FreeLists Network Issues Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 05:56:42 -0500

===
- The FreeLists Newsletter -
 You're receiving this email because you are subscribed
 to the FreeLists Newsletter, a newsletter sent out to all
 FreeLists list owners.  It contains important updates about
 changes to FreeLists services.  For subscription information,
 please see the bottom of this email.
===

Our network has had just about its worst day yet. I'm hoping to squeeze this message out while it's still possible. I hope the dates within make sense -- I've been awake for a very long time...

At about 5pm on the 21st, our upstream provider, IQuest, experienced some
sort of DoS attack directed at FreeLists to the order of filling an OC-3.

Worse, Ameritech had some telco hardware fail (possibly due to regional
thunderstorms), thus taking out our network completely.  That was fixed at
around 3am this morning (the 22nd).  The network came back up only to be
flooded by an apparent DoS attack, which we weren't aware of until this
time.

That continued until just a few minutes ago, about 6am of the 22nd.  We're
now in the clear, at least temporarily.  If anyone's curious as to what
this "looks like," have a look at our MRTG graphs:

http://iq-ops.iquest.net/stats/209.43.90.20/serial-2-6.cust00.ind.iquest.net.html

(The blue line there represents the "trouble.")

Anyway, we're working to take measures to prevent this sort of thing from
happening in the future, but of course there are no gaurantees when it
comes to DoS attacks of this nature.  We'll definitely be getting the
proper authorities involved, so if you're a 14-year old who thinks this
sort of crap is funny, your mommy may be getting a call from the FBI... :)

Hang in there folks, we'll pull through this...

John

- FreeLists Staff

- List webpage:
//www.freelists.org/webpage/freelists-news
- Administrative contact:
weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
=======================

-------
Glenn Nash, St. Louis, Mo
CM #1, Neutiquam erro (I'm not Lost)
'82 GL1100
ST. Louis Food Run 2000 Oct, 21st, 2000
PICTURES 1st of 3 pages
http://home.swbell.net/glnash/Food2000Picts/Food2000picts_1.htm

 A "Must See Site"  http://www.chattymorons.org/index.html
-------

Our WebPage! //www.freelists.org/webpage/geocaching
Mail List & Archive Info. //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching
Environmental msg. of the day, "Save the spotted Cow"