[GeoSTL] [Fwd: Concerning Illinois Letterboxes]

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 13:37:09 -0500

Let me try this again (formatting
last time wasn't correct)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Concerning Illinois Letterboxes
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:20:31 EDT
From: Mohmers@xxxxxxx
To: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx

(I am forwarding this here in case I sent my original to the wrong place)

Hello SLAGA group,
  I have been receiving emails concerning my boxes and the fact that I have
been deleting some logs from MY cache pages.  I figured it is better to reply
in person than to be spoken about second hand.  I know that the written word
can be taken the wrong way so please know that this letter was not written
out of meanness or sarcasm or to be rude...only to clear the air.  I am
trying to keep a light tone.  :o)

First, your web page is very nice  and well done. I am impressed!  I am sure
we will be accessing it often for all that it offers.

#1 My boxes are not trash.  Each box is self contained however some may be
wet or removed from its location to be dried out.
    Yes, the Flutterbye box was recently destroyed....it is a shame but it
does happen even to dry boxes.  I appreciated that the geocacher help out by
picking up the pieces and throwing them away ... I wished I could have saved
the handcarved stamp but it was probably ruined also.   I have run across
many boxes that a critter has gotten a hold of ...when possible I put them
back together and contact the owner.  Sometimes an animal loves the smell of
tupperware.

#2  When I have been notified that the boxes are wet ... I usually post a
note directly to the person or on the page description or in a log stating
that the log is wet and that I plan to fix it as soon as I can.  That SHOULD
be enough warning for any geocachers out there that  the box should probably
be passed over.
    I do take exception to the claim that one of the boxes in my yard is
trash ... it is not ... nor is it wet.  It has gotten wet twice .... and then
has been dried out and replaced.  The log book shows signs of wetness which
my kids and I think gives it the appearance of a treasure map, old world type
log book.  Some character. Our choice.

#3 I have chosen NOT to archive our wet boxes for the following reasons:
The LbNA site clues link directly to my geocache pages.  If  I archive the
box then a letterboxer can not access the cache and learn about the current
condition of the box ..wet, dry or temporarily out of commission.  That also
is Our choice.

#4  I have deleted logs that I feel are not nice, not polite, and too
derogatory from MY cache pages.  As the cache planter/owner, hider that is my
choice also and that is why the geocaching.org webpage provides that option.
To open a cache page and see unneeded  and rude logs complaining about the
quality of a box is NO FUN.  This is supposed to be fun.  You can decide for
yourselves if your comments have been rude ... if they haven't been rude then
it doesn't apply to you.  :o)
  I have deleted logs about the wetness of the log when and after I have
responded to the log ...not to censor just to clean up the page.  I do this
with my kids and see no reason to get them upset or mad at the other
geocachers when deleting no longer necessary logs prevents it. Once again OUR
choice, offending someone was never my intention.
    If you have a problem with someone's cache why not contact them directly?
... That is why the email this user option has been provided.

#5  This is the condition of the boxes my family and friends have planted.
Look at the list ... these boxes do not pose a serious problem. I have
monitored the condition of them all, I don't visit them everyother day.  We
receive some very nice and encouraging comments on most of our boxes from
many hunters. Some of these boxes have been there since 1999:

ButterCup LetterCache ...dry
The LetterBox formerly Known as: Across the Board ...dry
WoodHenge ...dry
Lincoln Log  ... dry
Oddish : PokeyMan # 43 ... currently at home since March waiting to be
replaced in a new spot (This is noted on the page)
Valley of Coal BikeMan#1... dry
I Yam what I Yam! ... dry (with some trouble in the past)
CMPL Box ... dry
Sitting Pretty Susie ... dry
PokeyMan #14: Kakuna ... ... dry
"Slices of Quince" ... dry
Poor Doggy .. apparently under dirt (will check on this one)
B I N A R Y ... wet
Twinkle * BikeMan #5  (archived, until I get there)..this one is self
contained and not a trash problem ...just wet
Piasa ... dry
Scarab ! ... wet also self contained and not a trash problem
Fishers of Men ...dry
Bubbles LetterCache ... dry
Cardio-Box : BikeMan#3 ... dry
ALL SMILES :o) BikeMan#4  (temp archived ...due to wetness)

 Vulpix : PokeyMan #37 ...dry
 GEODUDE: PokeyMan #74  ... dry

 They're Here!...Bikeman #6  ...dry
 Elephant Slide ...dry
 The Yard Hill Letterbox  ...dry

 ROAR !  ..dry
 The Longest Neck  ...dry
 RAJA  . dry
 Close it Tight ...dry need to check on if missing
Teddy ... missing needs to be replaced

WaterTower View  (archived)
3 Forks (Indiana)  (archived)
 Trip Trap Trip Trap (Illinois) (archived)
4/10/2001 Pokeyman #94: Gingar (Illinois) (Last: 7/1/2001) 369 day(s) ago.
(archived)
7/3/2001 Flutter-Bye Box: BikeMan #2 (Illinois) (Last: 6/23/2002) 12 day(s)
ago. (archived)
Pikachu: PokeyMan #25  (archived)
EGG-Zactly  (archived)
Main Street  (archived)

We also have 6 to 8 letterboxes in the area that I have chosen not to post as
geocaches.

More than most but ... OUR CHOICE.
I do plan on getting to the wet ones this July. Things have freed up around
here some.

#6  Most of my boxes have permission from the land owner and public entity to
be there.  If there is a problem they have my name and number and will call
me.    I feel that we are responsible and have not given letterboxing nor
geocaching a bad name.

#7  Not having the time to take care of these boxes has never been the issue.
 Prioritizing has been.  There are serious things going on in our lives that
are no one else's business and that do legitably take  up  time,  I should
not have to apologize for that but I have.  This is really a non issue since
..as you can see I have taken care of our boxes though  possibily not as
quick as some would like.  :o)   Remember this is a hobby.

#8  Though I appreciate the attempt by SLAGA to keep the place clean.  I was
not aware of the organization until recently nor did I agree to have my
letterbox/geocache combinations placed under the jurisdiction of SLAGA when I
joined geocaching.org .    I appreciate comments and helpful criticism
however 6 plus emails on some days is going beyond that point.  To be frank
.. I don't know you but you know where I live and this is beginning to scare
me.

#9 This has been long I know.  Please feel free to contact me at
Mohmers@xxxxxxxx  I would like very much to make up and be friends.

Thanks for the chance,
Mohmers

Now if we can talk about serious trash caches for a moment, take a gander at
the zillion in the Collinsville/Edwardsville IL. Area. IE: Oddish
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2442 and
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2497  (where my posts
requesting maintenance are being deleted) , flutterbye box was another prime
example of letterbox trash here. There are many other examples. They have
been reported as wet and trashed to 8+ months and the cache/letterbox owners
that live near the caches claim to be a little too busy to deal with them .
They even give letterboxers a bad name.

We have a SERIOUS problem with neglected letterboxes in Illinois.

Respectfully,

Glenn Nash

Title: I found that my log entries from the letterboxes have been deleted
I found that my log entries from the letterboxes have been deleted. I guess
they donâ??t like having cachers say that the stuff is soakedâ?¦  I know we
have
some letterboxers here (I think) so no offence intended but come on, these
caches are trash and have been trash. Isnâ??t there some sort of â??self
policingâ?? statute in the letterboxers code of conduct?

Glenn

To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [GeoSTL] Re: deleted logs
From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:14:36 -0500

Title: I found that my log entries from the letterboxes have been deleted
What I do not understand is why they don't just temporally disable the cache
until they can fix it or put a message asking someone else to bring a
replacement container the next time.  That is what I do when I cannot take
care of the problem myself in a reasonable amount of time

For Jim (myotis), maintaining caches would be a fulltime job!
I personally only have a handful of cache placements and
worry about them like children every night!

The letterbox we found in Forest Park a few days ago needed
maintenance and I noted that in my find log.  I hesitated making
it a 'should be archived' log type, but I was very close.  If I see
a number of logs over a period of a month or more where it
says the cache is trash or wet and the owner doesn't respond,
I have no problem recommending it be archived.  And believe
me, the geocaching.com admins KNOW when you enter a log
of that type.

To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:39:26 -0500

Title: I found that my log entries from the letterboxes have been deleted
They could easily do that and if you have a cache a good distance from home,
that is a good option. Most of these letterboxes are a few miles from the
house, one is in their yard!

I donno, I donâ??t get it. There is a bit of responsibility and hassles that
come with placing a cache. If ya donâ??t want to do it right,  then donâ??t. I
have trouble keeping up with the 9 or so of mine, I donâ??t think I could do
many more. They have *many* letterboxes in operation.

Glenn
Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Mail List & Archive Info.
Msg. of the day, "These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the
hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.