[GeoStL] From the forums.... (MoGeo forums)

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Geocaching Freelist <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:34:26 -0500

Posted Today, 11:30 AM

My usual mode of operation is to do what we can get away with until we get
caught  :-)

As a result, we get a lot of stuff listed to go find that all looks pretty fun
and creative and it creates little if any problems. I have been caught in the
past with assuming permission has been granted for this and that and not really
following up on that stuff.

In the last several months my rate of getting caught has gone up just a notch
to where we are not really sneaking under the radar much anymore. Outsiders
really do see what we are doing. Things that create problems are mostly
permissions and legality issues. Conservation areas without permits, park
systems and private property without adequate permissions ect. As a result I
need to tighten up things just every so slightly to make it look like we being
as complete as we can be.

If I recognize an area needs permission I am going to ask about it. If you tell
me that you indeed have permission I will ask from who, (or whom, i get these
confused), I may or may not ask for complete contact info.Name, title, email
and phone. In light of things, I probably will so don't act surprised when i
do. I used to ALWAYS contact the parks people to double check permissions and
to thank them for allowing us to hid things in the parks. I got away the ALWAYS
part and would only contact once in a while. I may go back to the ALWAYS part.
Most of the time they like to hear from us and they like it when we play by
their rules.

Remember that parking lots are indeed private property. It is illegal to stop
on a lot of roadways unless it is an emergency. I am trying to figure out
exactly where we can and cant stop. I know the extremes but the middle ground
is fuzzy. For example, ya cant stop on the interstate to play games and have a
picnic. When i was in England it was common to just pull over on the motorway
and picnic in the median and shoulder areas, not here tho. It IS common and OK
to stop on forest roads & country county roads. It is everything in-between
that causes the biggest problems.

The legality of the "right of way" is also a big issue. I have spoken with lots
of law enforcement and conservation law enforcement folks to determine just
what is what. Again, I don't have the written statues but do have the rules
that the guys and gals on the streets use. From the roadway to the ditch along
the road is commonly considered the right of way. So that is something like
10-15 feet most of the time? maybe? I get lots of caches submitted 200 feet off
the pavement. That seems like it is off the right of way. I will ask about it.
If you do not know who owns what I am going to assume it is private property.

Arrrg, I am out of time but I think you get the idea. I am going to be asking
more questions about everything. Oh, if you submit a puzzle, also submit how
the puzzle if solved. If you look at my cache finds you will see that I almost
never log them. I am not a good puzzle solver I am not going to run out and
start logging all the puzzles in the state. Actually, if you look at my logs
you will see that I haven't logged any massive amounts of caches since about
geowoodstock 2. I have logged a few but I just never really get around to it so
not to worry, I will not be claiming any FTF's on your puzzles.  :-)
As a reviewer, I am prevented from doing so anyway. Your solutions are safe
with me.

got to run.

thats about it.

Glenn
"Seek quality, not quantity".
--
Your friendly Missouri Geocache Review team is
Glenn (*gln),   & Mongo

How to get your cache published quickly: http://tinyurl.com/yhnva3g

Areas needing permission in Mo. http://tinyurl.com/lgyy84