[GeoStL] Re: Frisbee Rule????

  • From: bleu-kangareu@xxxxxxx
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:39:01 -0500

-

I don't believe that every cache page needs to state that permission is
granted. You yourself stated a belief that permission is only required on
private property didn't you (I may be wrong about the source and don't care
enough to go back and search)? The FR doesn't address private property only
public spaces. I am comfortable playing Frisbee on my neighbors lawn, but
would never think of placing a geocache there w/o permission.

Below are point by point responses to your other 'oranges to my apples'
messages;

"Just for kicks I did a search of caches from our landlord's ZIP code, 63119,
and looked at the first 20 caches...not one mentions permission."

how many were on private property?

"It isn't any more littering than what you do placing a cache where you have
definite permission in a locale that requires it."

sorry but when you place a cache you promise to maintain it and to remove it
eventually. when you leave a Frisbee in the park for others to play with as
you described, there is no commitment to return and remove it. thus littering
IMHO

"As for your second point, I think you're grasping at straws here...what you
speak of are the oranges to my apples."

not really. what's the difference between abandoning a Frisbee and a rust
bucket other than the size? one man's trash is another man's treasure. if a
Frisbee is not litter because it has less mass than a car, then cigarette
butts must not be litter either (or is there another attribute that excludes
wayward Frisbees from being litter?)

"My position and the position of said
unofficial rule is...why should you have to ask permission to do something in
place that does not requite permission to do virtually any other lawful
activity?"

ah, this is the crux of the biscuit (or is that the apostrophe? if you get
this reference, LMK, i'd love to chat) and I wholeheartedly agree. Unless
posted rules in a public space forbid geocaching, it is allowed by default
just the same as playing any other lawful game. No permission is required and
no note about permission on the cache page is necessary. Abandoning game
pieces (geocaches or Frisbees or rusty old cars) with the hope that someone
else will appreciate it is not game play, it's irresponsible.

Just for giggles, I went back and starting reading the archives of this list
from 2002. What a kinder gentler time that was. Off topic seems to be a long
tradition in this group.

"Minister of Backwoods Adventures
Marriages Forgiven,  Sins Performed
Reasonable rates.
Online Healing will be available soon."  lol, who knew?