[GeoStL] Re: Find Caches along a route - New feature

  • From: bromley@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:25:26 -0500

-
It requires several steps:

First, using Google Earth, create your desired route.

Second, save that route as a .KML file to somewhere on your local PC.

Third, log into Geocaching.com and go to the "Find Caches along a route" page.

Fourth, on that page, one of the options is to upload a "route" from your local
PC.  Do that.  It will as for names, etc.

Fifth, there;s an option to create a Pocket Query from an uploaded route. Take
that option and you should be brought to the Pocket Query page and be allowed
to "tweak" your Pocket Query with such things as distance from route for
caches,etc.  Once you are done with that, they run it as you would a normal
Pocket Query.  It will be sent to you as normal.

The above assumes you are a premimum member and do have Google Earth on your PC.
I've used it several times and it is really slick.  I've managed to get rid of
five or six PQ's that way and have a save PQ for those trips I end up taking
alot.

I'm doing everything from memory so this will be the right sequences but the
screens might say something a bit different.

Hope this helps.

Steve aka javapgmr