[GeoStL] Fall training classes

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gc-Maillist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 21:23:39 -0500

As most of you know, we hold 4 training class each year for the St. Louis
county parks. 2 for geocaching and 2 for learning about GPS's.

This year the dates for the fall classes are:

Sept. 15th-GPS

Oct.13th-Geocaching 101 See
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc11gax for the event page.

Both classes are held at the Visitors Center in Greenfelder Park behind Six
Flags. GPS class runs from 10AM to 2PM and the geocaching 101 is from 10AM to
3PM. The Visitors Center is heated and A/C as needed with restroom below the
building. Picnic tables are also around the parking area.

The GPS class is NOT an event because we really don't talk about geocaching.
It's just a class for those who want help in buying, learning and using a GPS.
Of course we let them know about the geocaching class the following month and
hopefully get them hooked.

As always, we need helpers for both sessions since there are normally attendees
who don't own a GPS yet and are interested in gaining some knowledge to make an
educated purchase. Hands on and advice with the different units is very
beneficial.

And for the geocaching 101 event, we also get another smiley.

Class sizes have run from 8 to about 30 people, so having 5-10 helpers is
usually sufficient. As before SLAGA will provide soda and water for everyone at
both classes. Normally after the classes we go down to Eureka at have Mexican
at El Nopal.

So for those that can help for a few hours, please make a note on the
geocaching 101 event page or reply to this email if you can help out with the
GPS class. The county charges $10 each for these classes and takes care of the
reservations. We get 1/2 the money which always helps the SLAGA bank account.
This $10 charge does NOT apply to SLAGA members helping out and of course no
registration is needed with the County.

Thanks,
Rich