[GeoSTL] FW: erik88l-r contacting you from Geocaching.com

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SLAGA <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:48:45 -0500

Here is the reply...

-----Original Message-----
From: Geocaching.com User Email BOT [mailto:emailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 6:44 PM
To: glnash@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: erik88l-r contacting you from Geocaching.com

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL MESSAGE FROM GEOCACHING.COM
If you wish to email this person, visit your "my cache page" link on
Geocaching.com and use the Email a player link. Please send any abuse
complaints to contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

User erik88l-r has contacted you with the following message:

Hi GLNash,
  Got your e-mail.  Thanks for taking the time to write.  You raise some
good points.  I'll try to respond.
  As you know caches come in different varieties.  We started with just
plain old geocaches, but we now call them "Traditional Caches".  Kind of
like "Classic Coke" ;)
  The prohibition of physical caches in places led to Virtuals, which led to
Locationless caches.  When locationless caches got lame the approvers and
those on the forums raised a stink and guidelines were posted.  The
guidelines were actually inplemented in April for the approvers ("admins")
but not posted until guidelines for virtual caches could be added.  Virtuals
had also deteriorated to the point where they weren't only in places that
prohibited "real" caches but anywhere.  When the guidelines were posted the
decision was made by Jeremy to not apply them retroactively - in other words
not to go on a witch hunt against yellow jeeps, but to apply them going
forward.
  Event caches are also an area that we are discussing posting guidelines
for.  It seems evident to Jeremy that a Geocaching Event has to be about
geocaching but until guidelines are posted we will continue to experience
aggravation as people work hard to put together an event with good
intentions.
   As we try to keep lame locationless and virtual caches from being posted
we unfortunately at times let lame traditional caches thru.  We block those
that are obviously placed as an afterthought (the proverbial baggy with a
happy meal toy and little else), but no doubt there are some we miss.
   There is also the problem of caches deteriorating over time.  I have two
that I need to service this weekend.  I think Jeremy thought he solved that
problem by allowing people to "vote" to archive caches thru their logs and
by allowing cache owners to temporarily deactivate their caches.
   I wasn't aware until you referenced the two letterboxes that the
deactivation button is missing from letterbox caches.  It does look like the
owner of the two you pointed out is aware of the problem and has taken
action to rectify it.  If there was no sign of a responsible person there I
would have archived the caches.  I will bring the letterbox problem to
Jeremy's attention.  It should be possible to deactivate them too.  Heck, I
was able to deactivate a Virtual cache of mine when it was stolen, so why
not a letterbox?
  Hey, thanks again for taking the time to air your thoughts!
   Happy 4th.
erik - geocaching.com admin lackey

To reply to this user, visit the web page below or use 'erik88l-r' for the
username and email them through your "my cache page." (You'll need to be
logged in)

http://www.geocaching.com/email/default.asp?U=erik88l%2Dr

Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Mail List & Archive Info.
Msg. of the day, "These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the
hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.