[GeoStL] Re: Exclusive OBC Announcment

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:38:30 -0500

-
Network Insight Detection (WS.Reputation.1) found in the file OBC.exe. Not
sure if people really want to download this and install it. It is not bad
but does mean that the file has earned a bad reputation by users in the
cloud computing community. Of course, Symantec does have an issue with some
files that might be totally bogus, In any case, proceed with caution.

I know Dave would not submit anything that would be harmful, but, it could
have been hacked.

From Symantec...

WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score
based on analyzing data from Symantec's community of users and therefore are
likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec's
reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a
reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like
adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec's tens of
millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a
reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious
software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and
behavior-based detection techniques.

Good Luck,
Mike