[GeoSTL] Europeans Propose More Accurate Non-US Operated GPS System

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:42:28 -0500

Europeans Propose More Accurate Non-US Operated GPS System
March 14, 2002 at 3:58 PM

Despite strong opposition from Washington, the European Union
has voted to move ahead on its Galileo satellite-based navigation
system, which will compete with Uncle Sam's Global Positioning
System. No date has been set for launching the Galileo system.
Unlike GPS, which is operated by the U.S. military but is
available for commercial use, Galileo will be designed from the
start as a commercial service.  It also will give users more precise
information than GPS provides. That has Washington worried
that terrorists could use Galileo to guide a weapon,  not just to
a targeted building but to a specific window in that building. The
European Union argues that an alternative to GPS is needed
because the Pentagon from time to time shuts down access to
the American satellite network, sometimes without any advance
notice to users. The EU is also uncomfortable about giving the
U.S. government and American industry a  monopoly in the
precision navigation field.

Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Mail List & Archive Info.
Msg. of the day, "These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the
hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.