[GeoStL] E-Trex parts?

  • From: Jim Everman <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:02:16 -0500

-
OK, so I'm out 'doing my thing' in Hesse Park (GCHFFR). Anyway, I
found it (upside down, in a creek), put in a temporary log and started
out, fighting the thorns, pulling poison ivy with my bare hands ..
lots of fun in the brush </sarcasm> At some point I stopped for a
break and cleared the waypoint from my little yellow E-Trex.
Shortly thereafter, I got out of there. When I got back to my car, I
noticed I'd lost that little black rubber band (that is essentially
the buttons).

After a few well chosen words, back to the woods. The way I'd
bushwhacked out made it 'interesting' to follow the track back, but at
least I knew it was there when I cleared the waypoint. After doing a
bit more battle with the thorns, I finally decided it just wasn't
worth the effort and continued to find 7 more caches that day without
the buttons. Unhappy about the missing band, but just how much can a
replacement cost?

When I got home, I fired an e-mail off to Garmin, admitted I was a
klutz and requested information on getting a new band. I was a tad put
off by all the information they wanted and the projected delay, but
I'm a big boy and can eat crow if I have to...

I just got their reply:

  "From what you describe, it would appear that your unit is
   not operating correctly, and should be returned to the factory
   for service.

   The flat rate of repair for your unit is $59.00-125.00
  (depending on which etrex model you have).

   . . . snip

Aw, come on guys! All I want is a replacement band, and it works just
fine, just looks odd and the controls require a bit of finesse. For
that price, I'd sooner buy a new one!

Anyway, I called the number they sent and found out they close at 5 pm
Central time. It's looking like I'll be able to MAKE a replacement
before I get anything from them.

Any ideas, anyone? (No Strider, I'm not 'borrowing' one. <g>)

 Geo Jim

--
   Jim Everman       mailto:everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                     http://webusers.Anet-STL.com/~everman/