[GeoStL] Re: Don't know what to do with this Benchmark

  • From: Roger Barnes <rogbarn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:15:23 -0500

-
Yes, what Jeff said except:

You can log unlisted benchmarks on waymarking.com.  There is a category
called "US Benchmarks".

Background:
Geocaching.com's database comes from the NGS (National Geodetic Survey,
a part of NOAA, part of the Dept. of Commerce) but is about 5 years old
and has never been updated.  The NGS database contains markers that have
been submitted to them (therefore many different jurisdictions are
represented) and meets their standards of accuracy (pretty high).  You
can access the current NGS database at
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/datasheet.prl

The other major group of benchmarks comes from the USGS (US Geological
Survey, part of the Dept. of Interior.  They have datasheets stored in
file cabinets in Rolla.  In theory, it is possible to get copies if you
request a specific one, but they have very limited manpower.  A few but
not very many USGS benchmarks are in the NGS database.

Roger