[GeoStL] Re: Does Geocaching Speed up or slow down in fall?

  • From: "Bernie" <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:13:56 -0500

-
  Eric, that sounds more like chigger bites to me. If you saw them, then
they were probably seed ticks, but you most likely had both. Tick bites
don't last if you pick them off unless you let them get imbedded, then you
can feel them afterwards. Chiggers are more microscopic. I have seen them on
me with a magnifying glass and they show up as tiny little red dots. Don't
take any of this as gospel, but I believe others will agree.  Bernie

-
As much as I hate winter, I have to say that winter caching is great. Many
of my 200+ caches
were done in winter/cooler months. I agree with Mike, ticks & chiggers
coupled with the heat
slows or deters many peoples progress.

Speaking of ticks & chiggers, Dayna & I were camping this past weekend in
Danville
Conservation Area & did the Hermann area caches. We came up with the worst
case of bites we've
EVER had. We both have well over 100 bites. The itch is beginning to subside
but not yet gone.
Any recommendations for relief? We've tried alcohol, bite back & clear
fingernail polish.
Also, these ticks (I assume they were ticks) were sooooo small. I've seen
small ticks before
but, these were almost too small to make out any identifying features. The
other odd thing
about them is that at one point, I was covered with literally 100's of these
critters; it
looked like a swarm of bees!!!

Thanks & God bless!

Eric