[GeoStL] Re: Defend our freedom to share (or why SOPA is a bad idea)

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:28:41 -0600

-
Don't even get me started on the "Patriot" act. They label the bill so that if you are against it, you are unpatriotic instead of the fact that the bill itself is unpatriotic and robs us of our freedoms guaranteed by the constitution and which, in theory, are unalienable. I guess they are alienable.

The problem with the Patriotic Act(s) and these are the same. Our rights are to protect the innocent. Our laws and government are to protect the innocent. Up until these UNPatriotic bills, the concept is that while not ideal, it is always better to not catch a criminal than it is to punish an innocent person. Now, we punish the innocent, whether by depriving them of their freedoms and rights or other means so that we are sure we stifle a criminal according to an arbitrary definition of who is and is not a criminal. In this case, it is a corporation who wants to reap profit in the way they are accustomed to rather than find a way that works for the modern times.

On 1/19/2012 10:56 AM, Charles Leverett wrote:
Isn't this the same road China went down?
Just think for a moment of what would of happened if we had the SOPA framework in place when the Patriot Act was conceived? Just think if we hit a time like that again in our history? Is it really such a long shot to believe the government would ban other sides that would hurt "public safety"?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Nathan Rover <nrover@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:nrover@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    -

    You mean like this?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7f9671e9-295c-4188-9b0c-a3a1beba58ee

    This bill is a road we don't want to go down people, I can't even
    begin to express how detrimental this would be to the Internet.

    On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Laura Williams
    <pi.arent.square@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:pi.arent.square@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Someone on the KC Geocaching facebook group made a comment
        that all it takes is one mickey mouse GIF on the geocaching
        website to get it shut down should this all pass. That may not
        be the intention of the bill (I know it's the aim to stop
        online pirating), but there's nothing written in it that gives
        me confidence that this sort of thing won't happen eventually
        should the bills be passed.

        On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Glenn <gln.htc@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:gln.htc@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Very, but this is the one they are voting on.

            Glenn
            Via iP-4

            On Jan 19, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Maggie Madonia
            <letsride94@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:letsride94@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Good and bad.. as usual with most bills this one is
            poorly written.
            Maggie

            On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Glenn
            <gln.htc@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:gln.htc@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                -
                Not directly Geocaching related but..
                This is too important not to pass alongside this
                 threatens our rights in so many ways

                This is from TED TV and is about the best and easiest
                explanation of the pending Internet legislation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2dF-IsH0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2dF-IsH0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player>

                Glenn
                Via iP-4

                 Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived
                http://tinyurl.com/87cqw
                 Missouri Geocaching land policies -->
                http://tinyurl.com/lgyy84
                 Missouri Geocachers Forums -->
                http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php
                 Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->

-- Cheers,

    Nathan Rover

    Connect with me:
    <http://www.nathanrover.com> <http://www.facebook.com/nrover>

<http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=2abec2fd-841b-4ff6-9cc2-88dd97c54e6f>
    <http://www.linkedin.com/in/nathanrover>
    <http://twitter.com/#%21/NathanRover>

--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning

My Software never has bugs. It just develops random features.

Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->