[GeoStL] Re: Dallas Area Caching Attitude Toward Public Land

  • From: "M. Bollinger" <lazylightning3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:22:59 -0700 (PDT)

-
Mike - you really hit the nail on the head with this one!

Unless there is a sign or a rule that says "Don't Walk on the Grass" you can
assume it is OK to go on the grass.  It is up to the land managers to take the
initiative to set the policies.  If they don't have one, you can't be held
responsible for breaking a non existent rule.

As far as don't-ask-don't tell, I inquired about a cache at a MO Dot rest area.
I called several times and finally got a secretary of a head guy that said "If
you ask - we might have to say no, but I'll have him call you."  I never heard
from him and assumed this was a (wink-wink) nod of approval.

We do need to check if there are policies and be sure we don't violate them,
and be good stewards of the lands we use.
Michael Tollefson <mbtoll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Basically it's 'don't ask, don't tell'. All the cachers I have met,
> some doing this for years, have said that public parks are open to
> the public. As long as we aren't defacing property, then we have no
> reason to ask for permission.

 Many agencies do NOT have any rules. If they don't have a policy that forbids
the placement of caches then go ahead. It's not violating a policy or rule then
and conforms with the usage of public parks.

Subject field