[GeoStL] Re: Conservation areas

  • From: Glenn <Glenn.GeocachingAdmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:24:17 -0600

-
Being around here really make you appreciate the relationships we have
with the area managers. Yes it does.

This area is someplace around Springfield Mo. Funny thing is, I received
a note awhile back from a Conservation official from down there that
claims to know that we no longer NEED permission at all for "Forested
Areas" of the conservation department.  Since I have not been able to
confirm that or even confirm just what are "forested areas", I still do
the "get permission" routine.  More and more tho the conservation areas
are coming around.

I am working with a cacher now that is working with the conservation
department because they WANT some caches in  their area.  .  KC had the
Techie event in the conservation departments learning center! Caches
nearby on their land!  It seems they rather like us there too.  Funny
how things are different from area to area.

I think it will take time but the others may come around.

I was going to be done but I thought of more.....

It makes me wonder why there are differences. Differing approaches when
initially dealing with the MDC? How did some areas develop great
relationships and others not so great? Is education the key? Perhaps
joint cache ownership to get the ball rolling?  The combination of the
right "schmoozer" linking up with just the right Conservation or park
ranger guy? That could be.    I really don't know but it is worth a
minute to ponder.

The cache page "Meet with your government agents"
http://tinyurl.com/86vqg    is loaded with (mostly) positive encounters
with officials.  Stories of one park system after another signing on to
the idea of geocaching in their areas.  It is a great source of useful
information when building a case or presentation to your local parks guys.

It IS still logbable by the way so feel free if you have a particular
success (or failure) story.

Work to do, got to run...
hugs and kisses,

Glenn