[GeoStL] Re: Conservation areas

  • From: "showme69" <showme69@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:42:32 -0600

-
Unfortunately, not all of them are.  When I applied for a special use permit
for the Union Access, I mentioned in a letter how geocaching would help more
people find and utilize CAs.  Now, I didn't state that was the reason to
allow it to be placed, only it is an added benefit.  The manager used that
as the sole reason for turning me down, stating, "...it is not necessary for
a 'geo-cache' to be placed in order for others to find the area and use it."
Then when I filed a reconsideration form and they knew I was serious, they
said the City of Union owns the land and leases it to the MDC. The terms of
the lease state, "for the purpose to construct and maintain a ramp and
parking area for launching and loading small boats, and the construction and
maintenance of a road to said ramp."  So don't pull into the parking lot
there and eat your lunch because that's not covered under the lease
agreement.

My second area I applied for, Port Hudson Lake CA, was approved when I filed
the reconsideration form.  It was initially rejected by the manager with his
reasons being it is a small area, 231 acres, 55 of which are the lake. He
wrote, "The combination of small size, irregular boundaries and residences
close to the boundaries of the area will produce user-landowner conflicts
for activities not centered on facilities provided for use of the area
(lake, boat ramp, picnic pavillion).  Authorization of geocaching will also
compromise enforcement of the 10 PM-4AM area closure."   Up to that point, I
didn't realize geocachers are more likely to trespass and compromise closing
times than the average citizen (such as the drug users), but what do I know.
Anyway, after it was approved, I had to send in a permit application each
month and he recently relented and extended my permit period for 3 months.

As Jim said, they come up with the first excuse they think of as a cop out.
In my initial application letter,  I included several quotes from the MDC
website showing how geocaching fits in the MDC's mission and goals outlined
by the Conservation Comission, but it didn't matter until I jumped through
enough hoops.

Gale