[GeoStL] Conservation areas

  • From: Glenn <Glenn.GeocachingAdmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "St. Louis Area Geocachers" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:02:26 -0600

-
with all the caches going in to conservation areas around the state,
here is a fellow that seems to be uninformed of the progress.  They must
minimize the risk to the public that visits the Conservation areas.  Do
ya think that means that finding a geocache is more dangerous than say
hunting?

---

Unfortunately, this is the policy that has had to be taken by most, if
not all, Area Managers.  With the potential that exists for someone to
place drugs, needles, etc. at a known location of a geocache, it is
necessary to avoid these risks out of concern for public safety.

As I previously mentioned, I don't fear someone that is truly
interested in this activity doing something that could harm the public.
However, due to the often remote locations of Conservation Areas, they
can be attractive places for criminal activities.  I trust that you
will understand our concerns and responsibilities to do everything that we
can to minimize risk to the public users that visit Missouri's
conservation areas.  Again, please feel free to contact me at my office
if you would like to discuss further.

Thank you,

Chris Daniel
Wildlife Management Biologist