[GeoStL] Re: Congratulations

  • From: Michael Chambers <michaelc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SLAGA Geocaching List <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:42:29 -0500

-
.................I just feel that posting a message in the newsgroup for every
100 is not necessary.  ..................

Of course posting a message in the newsgroup for every 100 is not necessary - but it's a darn nice and considerate thing to do, and that's one thing that I really enjoy about this group - there are a lot of darn nice and considerate people in it. Also, it doesn't cost anything either, but I'm sure it makes the recipients feel good.

........... today if someone was really serious, they could cache hard
for a week and easily get 100 [caches]. ..............

I do have to point out a different perspective to this statement. Yes, you are right, if someone was really serious, they could cache hard for a week, and easily get 100. And there are obviously several people in this group who have the time, opportunity, and everything else it takes to do 100 in a week, or even several dozen in a day. Unfortunately, I have very few of these enabling criteria, and although I thoroughly enjoy the rare occasions when I can get out and do a little caching, and do get out every chance I get, I've only been able to log 35 caches since I started last Dec. 29th. Heck, you all ought to congratulate me when I reach 50. :-D

We only get a handful now a days who ever
recognize them and then it's a lot of "me too's."  .....................

I very much agree with your point about not overloading the list with a bunch of "me too" congratulations when someone reaches a milestone that may not have much meaning, but I'd offer the following suggestions.

   * I'd congratulate the heck out of anyone who has reached a
     milestone that probably means a lot to them personally.  For me
     it'll be 50 (but you can all hold off till I reach 100 if you
     like), but for Bruce it'll probably be 4,000.  I'm just going to
     shake my head in wonder when he reaches 3,400.  I'm not going to
     send him a note of congratulations every few days.  I really don't
     think he expects me to either (I hope you don't mind my using you
     as an example, Bruce.).
   * If several congratulations have been given already, the point has
     been made and I'm sure appreciated.  There's not much need to just
     pile onto the heap, just so you won't be thought of as not caring.
      "Me too"'s  kind of lack a certain level of sincerity anyway.
   * Through out a group congratulations once in a while; i.e.:  "There
     have been a lot of good personal milestones lately.
      Congratulations to all of you who have reached these goals."
   * If people want to really do something to cut down the load on this
     list, they should copy and paste only what is needed to reference
     their part of the dialog.  Seeing 14 copies of the entire previous
     list on the new one that you are trying to read is really a drag.

JMHO2 - Sorry I've run on so. It's one of my shortcomings.

Mike C. (Leanman)