[GeoStL] Re: Common sense when hiding

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:16:42 -0500

-
I almost got beat to death in Michigan when I was looking far a cache and came out of the bushes into a clearing. I was looking down for the cache and when I looked up, I was face to face with 12 angry Mothers wondering what I was doing in the bushes next to their daughters. I tried to explain geocaching but they were not amused and ran me out of the park like geese chasing an intruder.

Needless to say, I didn't log the cache.

I don't mind caches around playgrounds if it clearly states it. I can then choose when to go and seek that cache. I think it is irresponsible to place one in an area and not say anything on the cache page. The playground is part of the park and we have permission to place there. However, it needs to be communicated that this is a playground cache.

My 2 cents and my life story..

Mike
Brawny Bear
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Bromley" <bromley@xxxxxxx>
From: Stephen Martin <faery_generic@xxxxxxx>
To: geo stl <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [GeoStL] Common sense when hiding
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:45:35 -0500

-
Ok here I go again with issues I would like feedback on.

I have two hides that are thorns in my side regarding
others beliefs   that they are inappropriate in the
location.

First is Independence via metro (GCWZT9) which is located
near   residences but on public space.  The second waypoint
brings you to a   obviously city spot to gather more info
and the final is tucked near   a public sidewalk adjacent
to an empty lot.  I have followed hiding   rules and it IS
all on public property.  However, a few seekers have
shied away from it and questioned my use of common sense.
I don't   get it.  Should all caches be away from any view
of property owners?   If so many many many caches are
hidden without common sense.

The second is Hagrid's Flyer (GC10YH7).  This one is
disabled, but   today I will be moving the final to a
different location but use the   current coordinates as the
start point still.  It is on a piece of   playground
equipment and few folks have expressed concern regarding
its placement because i assume they assume they will be
viewed as   perverts for being that close to a play ground
while hiding.  Is this   not a family affair for many? Do
children love this game as much as I   do? The answers to
both are YES.  The cache is also very kid themed.   I am
moving the final because it is impossible to keep a
container   secured, not because of others undue concern.

The way I see it, these caches are hidden within the
guidelines set.    The challenge of the hunt is to find
them using a GPSr, info on the   cache listing and common
sense when seeking.  Don't damage the area   when you hunt,
be stealthy and follow laws and ordinances in the hunt
area. We have a right to use public space. I can find
danger and   possible negative Geocaching PR at any cache
if I want, but I think I   will search and hopefully find
them instead.

By the way, one cache is fairly new and the other is over
3/4ths of a   year old... and no one has been arrested,
nothing has been damaged   and finds have been logged.  I
guess I just want some true evidence   that these hides are
inappropriate.

Thanks in advance for helping me become a better all around
player in   this sport/game.

Stephen

Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived
http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

Steve