[GeoStL] Re: Common sense when hiding

  • From: Mike Tollefson <mbtoll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 07:31:41 -0700 (PDT)

I've got to say I agree with Mike here but I haven't done either one, yet.  I
don't see anything wrong with the first one - it sounds typical of an urban
type hide.  The second one I have major problems with.  If I don't have my kids
with me - it appears to be just wrong to have a grown man investigating a
playground.  As a parent I understand this point.  As quoted below it is
frowned upon in the guildlines.

  Mike

Michael Rogers <mrogers07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  -
Well, the first one sounds alright to me...but the
second one? I could see where it may raise some
eyebrows.

I don't know if you have read it, but the Geocacher's
Creed is a great baseline to follow. Is it official
GC.com policy? Not necessarily. Is it good common
sense? Yes.

Here it is: http://www.geocreed.info/

Part of that creed reads as follows:

"...Avoid Causing Disruptions or Public Alarm

? Don?t place a cache near schools or government
buildings unless the administration and staff are
fully aware of the placement.

]? Use caution where children play. Parents are
understandably concerned when strangers are near their
children.

? Don?t place a cache near critical infrastructure
that might be considered a terrorist target, or create
a cache that could be mistaken for a terrorist device
(e.g. a pipe bomb)."

The second point is the one that would apply here.
These days, parents are (justifiably) concerned for
their kids' safety and it's easy to see how people
might become alarmed if they saw random people hanging
about a playground, looking around.

I'm not saying your cache is bad...it's just placed in
a way that might cause an issue down the road.

-Michael

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.