[GeoStL] Challenging the NPS ban on geocaching RE: Re: FW: ohiobill contacting you from Geocaching.com

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:54:48 -0500

In working on my letter to the NPS over the removal of my cache, I have
looked a lot closer at NPS regulations and policies.  I have found that not
only does the NPS regulations the NPS claims prohibit Geocaching not apply,
I have also looked at the NPS regulations and policies on managing
recreation.  These regulations and policies very clearly do not allow the
NPS to simply ban a recreational use.  For example, the NPS must allow a
recreational use "if they are appropriate to the purpose for which the park
was established and they can be sustained without causing unacceptable
impacts to park resources or values."  I have also found some good language
in the law that established the Ozark National Scenic Riverways as one of
its purpose is the, "use and enjoyment of the outdoor recreation resources
thereof by the people of the United States."

I think the NPS's response to the letter I am preparing has the potential to
be precedent setting and a means to challenge the NPS's nationwide ban of
Geocaching on any NPS managed land.  So I think it is very important to get
in comments to the Ozark National Scenic Riverways opposing the NPS's
outright ban.

I have the email address for the park.  What I would suggest doing is:  1)
Place my letter to the NPS on SLGA's web site; 2) Place an alert on the web
site (and other places) urging people to write the NPS asking for the
elimination on the outright banning of Geocaching; and 3) Have SLAGA send
the Ozark National Scenic Riverways a letter asking them to meet with us to
discuss the issue.

What do others think?

I hope to have my letter finished today.