[GeoStL] Re: Central Missouri Teen Dies From Tick Disease -- SCARY!!

  • From: "Bob TheCacher" <cachefinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:52:30 -0500

-
I can relate to this article. A tick bite put me in bed for a week this past June. I was on a 3 week prescription of antibiotics and a lot of bed rest. Never knew a little tick could create so much pain in my life.
BBD1

From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Central Missouri Teen Dies From Tick Disease -- SCARY!!
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:10:41 -0500

Before everyone freaks out.. Please read this.. http://www.lawestvector.org/erlichiosis.htm

This has been around for years and the it is primarily transmitted by Lone Star ticks (The ones with a small white dot) here in Missouri. 80 percent will not ever develop symptoms from this disease but those that do usually have all the symptoms.

The article really doesn't go into detail on how long she had the symptoms before they took her to the doctor. Like any bacterial infection, the longer you wait, the worse it gets. Judging by the lack of ticks in the last 3 - 4 weeks, I would guess she had flu like symptoms before they took her to the doctor. Since flu like symptoms are viral and not bacterial, doctors don't prescribe antibiotics. Unless they knew there was a tick bite involved or noticed a rash, they most likely treated her for flu and sent her home.

That is why it is very important to tell the doctor that you removed a tick from you in the last x number of weeks.

I feel sad that this happened even when it could have been prevented with a little knowledge about what ticks carry and how to treat them.

Mike