[GeoStL] Re: Caching in Alaska

  • From: "Judi F" <deltawinner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:58:49 -0500

-
Mark,
I did receive your e-mail. Many thanks. I've printed it off to take with me. However, the joke was sooooooooooooooo bad. But I laughed.

My friend wants to walk on a glacier, so we will be taking the helicopter ride. Don't know if we should do it out of Skawag or Juneau.

I want to whale watch. Where do you leave from for Icy Point? It is out of Hoonah?

Judi

Judi,

I sent you an email off list about some caches and excursions we did in
Alaska. I didn't hear any more from you, so I just wanted to make sure you got the
email.

Also, one helpful hint I forgot to pass on. This time of year, the sun is
setting at about 11:30PM and rising about 4:00AM. Even when the Sun is down, it
doesn't get very dark. If you are spending any time in a hotel room, or if
your stateroom on the ship has a porthole, take along a few safety pins. We
found we got a much better night sleep if we pinned the drapes shut securely to
keep out as much of the "midnight sun" as possible.

One other bit of trivia that we learned from one of our tour guides. Very
soon the salmon will start their up-stream spawning run. In some of the small
streams, the salmon are so thick, you can walk across the stream on their
backs. But only men can do this. It was explained to me that women can't walk
across the streams on the salmon's backs because they don't like to step on
scales.

Sniper1
Mark