[GeoStL] Caching for Kids at the Community College?

  • From: "tnsl" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching Freelist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 01:36:07 -0500

Has anyone ever given any thought to teaching a Geocaching for kids class at
St. Louis Community College?

Throughout the year , mostly on weekends,  and especially during the summer St.
L CC offers tons of kid classes for all ages. Over the last year and half Kyd
has taken well over 30 hours of classroom instruction in everything from
dissection to robotics to geology/paleontology to radio production and magic.

Today I was talking to someone in the Continuing Education Department at Flo
Valley and she said they are always on the look out for new classes,
interesting subjects and good teachers for the kid classes.   I'd bet there
would even be compensation involved. (Years ago I taught a couple of craft
classes and was paid $75.00/class whooo-hoooo).  Each campus offers different
classes. Flo Valley classes are open to everyone but there are also those that
are only open to (tested) "gifted" kids that are held at Meramec (?). Not all
classes are held on campus either -- some have been at conservation areas,
Little Creek Nature Area (in Ferguson Florissant school district) etc.

This may be something someone would want to look into for themselves or perhaps
for SLAGA as a way to add to the treasury. Everyone I've ever talked to at Flo
Valley has always sounded rather receptive and intelligent (not so much at lat
east one other place based on a conversation I had today with another campus).
Most of the classes Kyd has taken have been 2- 8 hours. Most meet one time, a
few meet two times in the same week, one went every day for 1 1/2 hours. At Flo
Valley there are plenty of areas to hide temporary and permanent caches of all
types. This could be either a 1 or 2 day class -- Day 1 is brief instruction
and finding caches and Day Two would involve hiding a cache as well as finding
another one or two (perhaps a puzzle cache) all on campus.

Someone should probably really look into this ...When I taught the craft
classes I had to write up a proposal/class outline along with materials needed,
room space (I taught the class at the junior high school over on the Rock
Road). I'm not talking myself into teaching the class, but,   if someone was
interested in teaching the class on behalf of SLAGA and if SLAGA would be
compensated (not sure how that would work exactly), I'd be happy to come up
with the proposal, outline etc and approach the Continuing Ed Department at Flo
Valley

Nancy
I'm no longer sure which one I am ... and that should tell you something right
there.