[GeoStL] Re: Caches screwed into trees?

  • From: Craig <seaeye@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:31:15 -0600 (CST)

As a student of horticulture and landscape design Bernie is 150%
right leave the trees that are living alone. Any bark intrusion
can open the tree up to infection, infestation and possible death.
The bark of the tree serves the same purpose as the skin on your
body. I have to disagree with what the rangers have said to Bob. I
can see there was smoke being blown in several of their
statements, probably so they didn't look uninformed. SO beating
nails into, screwing screws into, no matter how small or how
stainless or what season it is, or even banding around living
trees goes directly against the Geocaching rules of leave no
tracks or traces and will directly affect the health of a
perfectly healthy tree. So I agree with Bernie, LEAVE THE LIVING
TREES ALONE.