[GeoStL] Re: Caches screwed into trees?

  • From: Bob TheCacher <cachefinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 10:32:59 -0600

Ok, here's the whole story that was given to me by a couple of Rangers:  It all
depends on the type of tree and the time of year that a nail/screw is put into
a tree.  Ash trees are the most resilient and can take a lot of foreign objects
in them.  Next is the pine/evergreen variety which is second in line and can
tolerate a lot also.  Then Oaks are pretty good at taking the "spike".  I don't
remember what was after that except that the least tolerant was the Dogwood.
But who would use a Dogwood anyway.  The second issue is the time of year.
When the sap is running more quickly, as in the summer, the tree can plug
itself up quickly and protect itself.  During the winter months is the worst as
the sap doesn't flow fast and takes more time to seal. Leaving it prone to
infection longer.

One more variable the park rangers told me was the thickness of the bark.  The
thicker the bark the better.  I suppose this may go back to the type of tree
being 'nailed' and the ability to seal up.   So pick a thick bark tree in the
summer and use a nail/screw that won't rust (another variable).
Bob

Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 20:36:01 -0800
From: jennyann1975@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Caches screwed into trees?
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah I agree. I work for a company that supplies products for lawn care
companies and yes it only takes one nail hole to leave the tree open to
infection.

I love bird houses caches but there are ways to secure the bird house without
nailing into the tree or drilling a hole. I cringe every time I come across one
nailed to a tree.

Yeah I know we all grew up with tree houses etc with the trees surviving nails
etc, but times are changing and tree diseases are more prevalent today then
they were twenty years ago.

Jenny
thesapafamily