[GeoStL] Re: Caches screwed into trees?

  • From: Bob TheCacher <cachefinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 21:23:18 -0600

99.9% of all trees that have nails or screws in them survive with no problem.
Last year I discussed this matter with several park rangers in Arkansas and
they had no problem with bird houses or caches nailed or screwed into trees.
However, after 5-10 nails or screws, the tree may suffer from infection.  So
keep it under 5 nails/screws and it should be OK.
 BobBBD1Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:46:36 -0800
From: mrogers07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Caches screwed into trees?
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, all...
I've got something that's been bugging me. There's a series of caches hidden
along a trail in my area and a few of them are cache containers that are
literally screwed into live trees. I know geocaching has a "leave no trace"
guideline when it comes to placements, but is such a case I mention worth
getting reviewers in on? What's your thoughts on such hides?
-Michael