[GeoStL] Re: ????????????Cache types?????????????????

  • From: john leenerts <johnnybgood1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:21:53 -0700 (PDT)

  "Stephens Lake" an oldie on Columbia , Mo comes to mind.  It was a single
stage that changed to a multi but is listed as a single stage.  It is
technically a multi.  It's one of the oldest in Missouri so I'm sure the owner
did not want to archive it.  Great cache though.  Just a little more walking to
do!!

  -
I think that about sums it up nicely. As you can see, it is kind of
confusing where some caches should be listed. Puzzle, multi, mystery,
offset... after a while it is hard to tell sometimes. There are some
mis-labeled caches around. Some caches were just flat out wrong to start
with and I didn't catch them. Some other older caches were listed one
way when it made sense to do then then the definition of a cache type
changes a little and pretty soon there are some caches that are sort of
orphaned in a category where they should not be.

Changing a cache type is not an easy thing to do. For example, You have
a multi cache where the 1st stage always goes missing so you just want
to now make it a single stage. Problem is, 80 people already counted it
in their numbers as a multi. If ya just change the cache type, all of a
sudden everyones count changes. Most folks would not notice BUT there
are some that are real serious about how many, of what kind and in the
exact order with the proper time of day all logged just right. They
would know and would raise a stink.

There are some caches that are listed as a traditional but it goes
missing and the cache owner discovers that they cant change the cache
type. They just tell everybody to now call it a virtual cache and just
"send me a code" of some sort then just go ahead and log it. When I
find those, I archive them as groundspeak does not list virtual caches
any more.

So, we don't just change caches around without a very good reason.

Glenn