[GeoStL] Re: Cache Page Goody?

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:04:11 -0500

-

I have not done any research on this, nor can I positively confirm it,
but.....

I have been having problems with Plucker rendering my Spinner output, where
it just hangs. I started trying to figure out what was causing it to get its
shorts in a bunch, but never really completed my analysis. I sorta got
aggravated at the type of "help" that was being offered on their "support"
site, and figured that even if I nailed it down, nothing may happen anyway.
Seems like there have been no updates to the downloaded version for more
thana year. Now maybe I don't know how that works, but that is another
story.

The long and the short of it is that what I DID find was that I could make
Plucker work if I edited the cache I thought was causing the problem to
remove one of the items on the page. That item was a link to put one of
those"you are the nth visitor to this page" messages on the page. That was
creating dynamic content, and if I am reading this correctly, this is going
to produce something similar. My current theory on why Plucker was choking
was because of this dynamic content. I don't know that for sure, but I guess
what I am saying is that if we get too much whiz-bang stuff on these pages,
that may start causing stuff like Plucker to choke.

Now good program design should not cause a program to go into a loop because
of this kind of stuff, but programmers are human, so it is going to happen.
The more variables that get introduced on pages, the more unexpected things
they are going to be seeing coming at their programs. They may or may not
digest them properly.

So what is my point? I don't know. Just more information I guess. I am not
saying things like this should not be used, but I am just supplying
somethingto think about in the process of deciding what to put on your web
page.

tklnhl &kyd wrote: - I know less than NOTHING about doing cache pages with
HTML. But, I saw this tracker on another board and wanted to pass it along.
It's used on myspace pages. I thought I'd pass it along in case it's usable
on cache pages. It's a tracking map and puts a point on a map indicating
where page views are coming from. This would be especially fun for those
caches with a lot of watchers.
http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/geovisitors/[1]I haven't seen used on
cachepages -- but then again with the way our schedule has been I haven't
LOOKED at any cache pages in a while. Nancy

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/geovisitors/
   2 //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching
   3 http://tinyurl.com/87cqw