[GeoStL] Re: Cache Maintenance Question

  • From: Weymouth <wey6567@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:30:07 -0700 (PDT)

-
Not really sure on complete overhaul of a cache.  I always clean up a cache if
it is needed.

JC_Geo
Steve Bromley <bromley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
-
I've been watching (lurking) for a long time on this list and want to
get a few opinions on something. Even thought I'm a relative newbie in
this sport, I've run across a few caches that have needed help. I've
been able to replace bags, etc. and in one case, replaced the whole
cache. In every case, there has been something good (or nothing at all)
to work with. Those decisions have been clear cut.

My question is at what point do you end up taking responsibility for the
existence of a cache? The "MO's Above it All" (GCHEGB) has deteriorated
to the point that it's nothing but litter and not a viable cache any
longer. When I found it a bit back, I was sorely tempted to take it with
me and sort out the good and dispose of the bad. It was in such bad
shape that field maintenance wasn't possible. I would have had to take
it with me and eventually replace it but it wouldn't have been quick.
What is the protocol for this? I don't want to step on anyone's toes
here but the cache (in it's current condition anyway) is trash. Should
I have taken it with me and sent Glenn a message that I did so? What
would you all have done? I've watched someone get flamed for removing a
cache and I don't want follow in that path.

I see that Glenn has temporarily archived it. That is a good thing
considering its current condition.

Steve Bromley aka javapgmr

Subject field

Subject field